First United Methodist Church of Fort Worth began in 1874 with the completion of its first building, a one-room frame structure at Fourth and Jones Street in downtown Fort Worth. It became known as the Fourth Street Methodist Church.
In 1887 the church moved the original frame building to the rear of the lot to make room for a new brick structure. First Methodist Church became its official name in 1890.
Following another period of growth, in 1908 the church purchased a lot at the corner of 7th and Taylor and constructed a two-story building of light colored brick and stone with a balcony on each side and one in back of the Sanctuary.
In 1924 St. Paul Methodist Episcopal Church at 10th and Burnet took its place along with other church buildings which were early homes of the First Methodist Church congregation. These two Methodist congregations formed a merger in 1930, nine years ahead of the official unification in 1939.
On the morning of October 29, 1929 — the day the stock market crashed — ground was broken for our current facility. Through tough economic times that followed, our congregation remained determined to complete the church building in 1930 as planned.
Since completing the current facility at 5th and Henderson, the church has continued to expand, renovate and acquire property, including Lyle Lodge on Eagle Mountain Lake, the Foundation Building, the Children’s Building expansion and the First Street Methodist Mission building on West 1st Street.
The Nancy Culver Jones Memorial Library is located across from Wesley Hall. The library began in 1975 as part of what was then known as the Resource Center. Today, the library continues to offer educational resources for all ages. The library’s collection includes new titles in contemporary Christian literature, daily devotionals, and teaching resources in print and DVD formats, as well as Methodism classics.
FUMCFW Archives was established in early 2006 by a dedicated group of church members who wanted to ensure that the church’s rich history would be preserved for future generations. Today, the collection contains approximately 360 cubic feet of records and historical materials related to FUMC Fort Worth.
Many exquisite works of art grace the FUMC Fort Worth campus, often in surprising and unusual ways. These are all gifts to the church from benefactors throughout First Church history, and are wonderful examples of the legacy of commitment to giving time, treasure and talents in support of our church and its ministries. For more information on the art collection of our church, or to schedule a tour, please contact Lisa Helm (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call the Main Church Office at 817-336-7277.
Alzheimer’s & Dementia
Preparing for Marriage
Congregational Care Ministers (CCMs)
Parish Nurse Ministry