This is not a normal post. This is an excited, amped-up, borderline giddy post. For the first time in the nearly 12 months of work, prayers, and hope that have worked to create First 7th, it’s here. The time for this new community to gather together for worship. Here it is, in bold so you can’t miss it:
THIS SUNDAY — Feb. 9, from 5:00 to 6:00 pm
In the last year, almost all of you have asked how you can help take First 7th to the next level. The answer at this point is easy: the most important thing you can do is attend this worship service and bring a friend with you. To help you feel comfortable making that invitation, here are answers to some FAQs regarding the service.
- Childcare will be available. BRIT has a great space for pre-K kids right next to the worship center that we will convert into a childcare space for ages infant to four. Childcare will be Ministry Safe and staffed by professional, top-notch childcare workers. Your kids are incredible important to us.
- Families are encouraged to worship together. Nothing influences the faith of children more than attending worship with their parents. Regardless of the age of your children, we encourage you to worship together as a family, and a section of our worship space will be set up to make this as easy as possible. There will be a quiet activity area for kids that need to move around a bit, and a door where you can silently step out for a moment if you want to. Don’t worry about your kids making noise; nobody will be louder than my son, so you’re covered.
- Worship will be high-energy and blend the best of our contemporary and historic traditions. First 7th is developing one of the most unique plans of worship in the country. We take the deep and valuable traditions of our faith and interpret them to fit in our time and place. We celebrate our heritage in ways that are relevant, not routine. We teach, we celebrate, we learn together. We worship with our hearts and our intellect in ways that are always authentic. You really need to experience it to understand what we’re talking about.
- Come as you are. Chances are, you won’t be wearing a suit and tie on Sunday afternoon. If you’re in jeans and a hooded sweatshirt when 5 p.m. rolls around, then those just became your church clothes! We’re much more interested in you than in what you’re wearing.
- Your friends will be comfortable. First 7th is a place where you can bring anyone you care about, confident that they will be respected and welcomed. It’s sad that this needs to be mentioned, but it does. We follow Jesus’ model, showing unconditional love to the people who the “church folk” judged and called unworthy. Our focus is on Christ, who welcomes everyone into his arms. Period.
- First 7th worship will be once a month going forward. Feb. 9 is the first of our monthly preview services. The next First 7th service will be in early March.
It’s time to celebrate! This is a major moment for all of us, and I can’t wait to be there with you. If you have any questions, reply to this email to let me know. I’ll see you soon!