Worship Leader for The Gathering
We’re looking for a passionate, magnetic worship leader for The Gathering, a fast-growing, unique, modern service that meets at 9:30 and 11:00 am at FUMCFW. In just one year, The Gathering has grown to more than 250 people WITHOUT any live music — only YouTube videos! If we can grow that much without music, imagine what we can become with a creative, inspiring music leader.
The Gathering doesn’t want to be another smoke-and-LEDs, CCLI Top 100 service. Our time of music will be a 15-minute mix of worship music, liturgy, and community prayer leading up to the sermon and Communion. We’re most interested in updated hymns, original compositions, creative use of other spiritual music, and a willingness to bring new things to an open-minded community. A perfect candidate will be excited to use that time as a blank canvas to engage the congregation, open their hearts to God’s presence, and guide them in worship and spiritual formation.
Here are the skills we need:
- Most importantly, you need to be a faithful disciple of Jesus Christ who loves to worship. (Duh!)
- Second, you need to be high-energy, authentic, and magnetic. We need somebody who draws people in and makes them feel connected to our community.
- Third, you need to be musically proficient to find and arrange music as well as lead the worship by yourself, when necessary.
- Finally, you need to be willing and able to recruit and coordinate a team of volunteer musicians from our church’s large supply of talented folks.
Here are the weekly job deliverables:
- Coordinate via phone and email with the teaching pastor during the workweek to develop worship themes and song selections. In the beginning, this will involve creating something from scratch — hopefully that excites you! Estimated time: 2 hours, flexible.
- Lead the congregation in two worship services on Sunday mornings. Estimated time: 4.5 hours, 8:00 am – 12:30 pm.
- Recruit, train, and coordinate volunteer musicians over time. Estimated time: 3.5 hours, flexible.
- 10 hours total. Pay is $25/hour. This leads to approximately $1,000/month, more on months with five weeks or extra special times of worship.
The Gathering is a growing service in an amazing church. Check out this story that will help you learn more about us.