This season of Lent we will be reflecting deeply together on the values that make us who we are as a faith community, including: Evangelism, Discipleship, Community, Compassion, Worship, and Commitment. Through the lens of our Lenten theme, This Is Us, we’ll examine these values and why they are more important to us now than ever before in light of all that is going on around us, in our world, in our nation, and even in our denomination.
As we take this sacred journey together, I invite you to prayerfully consider how you might become part of our active expression of these values that make us who we are with a “Second Mile” Easter Offering. This special offering will benefit the following ministries of our church that are not funded by our Ministry and Operating budget — and therefore must raise their own funding each year.
- First Street Methodist Mission to provide emergency food, clothing, infant formula, and limited financial assistance with respect and compassion for all whom we serve.
- Infant Formula Program of First Street Methodist Mission to provide formula, diapers, and clothing to parents and caretakers of infants 12 months old and younger.
- United Community Centers to provide a fun, safe summer experience for children in partnership with United Community Centers’ Summer Campership Program.
- Methodist Justice Ministry to protect women and children from domestic violence, abuse, and neglect, offering new lives free of violence, abuse, fear, and self-loathing.
- Lydia Patterson Institute to give bilingual student interns opportunity to assist with any ministries of the church that fit with their gifts and graces and especially to promote Hispanic ministries whenever possible.
- Community Advocate to mentor and support individuals who struggle with homelessness by providing mentoring, life coaching, and connection with social service agencies, job opportunities, and healthcare.
- Alzheimer’s and Dementia Support Ministry to offer specialized dementia care training and education to individuals, families, and caregivers who are dealing with dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
You can make your Easter Offering by check (please make check payable to FUMCFW and put Easter Offering in the memo line) and mail it, drop it by the Main Church Office, or put it in the offering plate during worship. You can also make this offering online at fumcfw.org/givenow (please choose Easter Offering from the drop-down menu).
Regardless of how you choose to give, please know that these ministries appreciate your generous support of the vital work they do on behalf of our faith community. When you share your own blessings with these ministries you become an active part of the difference we make together in the lives of those we serve. As always, I deeply appreciate each and every one of you for all you do for our church and its ministries.
Grace and Peace,
Dr. Tim Bruster