Because this year marks the 300th anniversary of the beloved classic Christmas hymn, “Joy to the World,” we’ve chosen Joy to the World as our worship and study theme for this Advent season.
I look forward to sharing this joy-filled Advent season with you through worship, study, reflection, and all the special Joy to the World Advent activities you’ll find at fumcfw.org/advent19. And, in our timeless First Church tradition, we’ll culminate this season of Advent with six candlelight Communion services on Christmas Eve at noon, 3:30, 5:00, 7:00, 9:00, and 11:00 pm.
Throughout this season of celebrating Joy to the World, and as we reflect on the timeless Advent themes of Hope, Love, Joy, and Peace, I invite you to also consider how you can bring these cherished feelings to those we serve through our many outreach ministries. With your generous contribution to our annual Christmas offering, you become part of all we do as a faith community to serve those in need, including:
- Kids Hope USA — providing mentors who volunteer one hour each week to at-risk children at T.A. Sims and Charles Nash Elementary Schools
- Methodist Justice Ministry — working to obtain legal protections through court orders for abused women and abused, neglected, and/or at-risk children
- Food 4 Kids — supplying 350 weekend bags of food each week to children in Fort Worth ISD who live in poverty
- Kenya Mission — offering orphans and other vulnerable children of Kenya school supplies and tuition support
- Costa Rica Mission — helping to build a regional Children’s Worship Center, medical clinic, library, computer lab, and soccer field in rural Costa Rica
- Providence Place (Formerly Methodist Mission Home) — empowering young adults with disabilities to achieve life/work skills and assistance for families and expectant mothers considering adoption
- Methodist Children’s Home in Waco, TX — serving more than 1,400 children and youth daily through residential foster care
- Wesleyan Homes — creating affordable Retirement Living at many different levels of care to senior adults in this Central Texas Conference ministry
As we prayerfully make our 2019 Christmas Offering together — and bless others as we’ve been blessed — I know you will join me in gratitude for these vital ministries and all they will do to bring Hope, Joy, Love, and Peace to those in need in the coming year.
Please make your Christmas offering now through December 25 online at fumcfw.org/givenow (choose Christmas Offering from the drop-down menu), via check (with “Christmas Offering” in your memo line), or use the Christmas Offering envelopes in the Sanctuary pew pockets.)
Grace and Peace,
Dr. Tim Bruster