Christmas Eve 2018 marks the 200th anniversary of the first time the carol, “Silent Night,” was sung in worship. In keeping with this very special occasion, we’ve chosen Silent Night as our worship and study theme this Advent season. As we reflect on these timeless themes of Peace, Hope, Love, and Joy, I invite you to also consider our many outreach ministries and how you can be part of what we do as a faith community to serve those in need, including:
- Kids Hope USA — We provide mentors who volunteer one hour each week to at-risk children at T.A. Sims and Charles Nash Elementary Schools.
- Methodist Justice Ministry — We work to obtain legal protections through court orders for abused women and abused, neglected, and/or at-risk children.
- Food 4 Kids — We supply 350 weekend bags of food each week to children in Fort Worth ISD who live in poverty.
- Kenya Mission — We provide 250 orphans and other vulnerable children of Kenya with school supplies and tuition support.
- Costa Rica Mission — We serve children and families in rural Costa Rica; in the past 12 years we’ve helped build a regional Children’s Worship Center, medical clinic, library, computer lab, and soccer field.
- Providence Place (Formerly Methodist Mission Home) — We help young adults with disabilities achieve life/work skills and help provide a wide range of adoption options for families and assistance for expectant mothers considering adoption.
- Methodist Children’s Home in Waco, TX — We provide services to more than 1,400 children and youth daily through residential foster care.
- Wesleyan Homes — We help provide affordable Retirement Living at many different levels of care to senior adults in this ministry of the Central Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church.
I hope you will join us for Advent worship and all the special Silent Night Advent activities you’ll find at fumcfw.org/advent18. And, in our timeless First Church tradition, we will culminate this season of Advent with six candlelight Communion services on Christmas Eve.
With prayerful consideration, I ask that you make your 2018 donation to support these ministries so that we may bless others as we’ve been blessed. Give online at fumcfw.org/givenow (choose Christmas Offering from the drop down menu) or via check (with “Christmas Offering” in your memo line.) I know that you celebrate with me all we do to bring Peace, Hope, Love, and Joy to those in need. Through our Silent Night Advent 2018 financial gifts, the many vital ministries listed above will continue to bless others in the coming year.
Grace and Peace,